Monday, September 9, 2013

Lesson Two From The Mat to Our Lives: Letting Go

   



       Aparigraha or non-grasping is one of the five Yamas, which are part of the eight limb path of yoga.  Aparigraha teaches us not to take more than what we need and not to hold onto things.  It teaches us our attachments and grasping on to things in our lives is a great generator of our own suffering.
     We become so attached to sensations, to people, to objects, and to outcomes when we lose or don't attain these things we react negatively.  These negative reactions we have then cause us to suffer.  In yoga we learn and practice how to let go, how to not grasp, and how to not take more than we need.
      Letting go our of desire for control, our desire for material possessions we don't need, and letting go of relationships that don't serve us.  Letting go our our judgements, fears, anger, blame, expectations and so much more.  It is truly amazing what happens when bring the practice of Aparigraha into our lives and let go.
     One of the things I have been working on letting go of is my need to feel in control and plan my future.  I am practicing living in the present moment and trying to do my best right now.  I don't have to worry about the future because what I am doing now will lead me down the right path to where I am suppose to be.
     What have you let go of and how has it made a difference in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment